United Nations raises concerns at continued suspension of 3 TV stations in Kenya

Marlene Weaver
February 5, 2018

The government shut down the East African nation's three leading TV stations when they tried to broadcast Tuesday's "swearing-in" of opposition leader Raila Odinga, who declared himself "the people's president" in protest of President Uhuru Kenyatta's election win previous year.

Alongside its tweet about Miguna's arrest, Odinga's NASA coalition posted video online that showed shattered glass strewn across the front entrance of his house.

Interior Minister Fred Matiang'i accused media organizations of facilitating Odinga's "illegal act", which he said put the lives of thousands of Kenyans at risk.

However, there was no response from the government or any explanation as to why the channels were still off air eight hours following the judgment.

"Grievances must be resolved through appropriate legal mechanisms", said Nauert, who also criticized "the government's action to shut down, intimidate, and restrict the media". The group was formed on October 25 past year, a day before the repeat presidential election.

But in a statement copied to ghanabusinessnews.com, TAEF said because the rally was of major public interest to all Kenyans and that journalism is the first draft of history, the presence of journalists at the event was neither an indication of support or lack thereof of an event, but a constitutional duty to record for the public, events of major public interest and importance. The laws are clear.

Omtatah, the activist, said men in dark suits who said they were police but refused to provide identification had detained a courier he sent to deliver the judgment to Kenya's communications authority.

They had defied orders by President Uhuru Kenyatta himself, who summoned media bosses last Friday and "expressly threatened to shut down" any station broadcasting the event, the Kenya Editors' Guild said in a statement.

Miguna Miguna was released by orders from Justice Wakiaga, and ordered to pay cash bail of 50,000 and then be brought back on Monday to court for mention or for police to prefer charges on him so that his case can be preferably be properly in court. "That's why the court ruled as they did".

"We reject actions that undermine Kenya's Constitution and the rule of law", the statement read.

But 28-year-old construction worker Edward Chege said some of the broadcasters were partisan.

"He was interrogated in connection with the oath taken by Kenyan main opposition leader Raila Odinga as the people's president", he said.

Other reports by Insurance News

Discuss This Article