Oxfam will not bid for more taxpayer money

Michele Moreno
February 18, 2018

The British branch of Oxfam has been rocked by allegations that some of the charity's aid workers used prostitutes in Haiti following the 2010 natural disaster.

In another blow to the Oxfam brand, prosecutors in Guatemala said Tuesday that they had detained Juan Alberto Fuentes Knight, the chairman of Oxfam International.

Oxfam sacked four workers and let three others resign over the scandal but the government and charity regulators have criticised Oxfam for a lack of transparency.

Several senior officials with the worldwide charity have resigned in the wake of the controversy, including the deputy chief executive of Oxfam Great Britain.

"The intensity and the ferocity of the attack makes you wonder, what did we do?"

Oxfam will triple funding to more than $1 million (800,000 euros) to improve safeguarding, while also doubling the number of staff in this area and increasing investment in gender training.

In an interview with British daily the Guardian, Mark Goldring again apologised over allegations of sexual abuse by Oxfam staff in Haiti, which broke last week and have shaken the whole aid sector.

Haiti's president has condemned Oxfam for a sex abuse scandal in his country, describing the actions of some of its staff as a violation of basic human decency.

Oxfam says a commission will be set up for investigating past and present allegation of exploitation by the staff. Oxford International's executive director Winnie Byanyima invited all the victims to come forward for justice and further said she is here for all the woman who has faced the abuse.

"In taking these actions I am very aware that there are hundreds of good, fearless and compassionate people working for Oxfam around the world".

DISGRACED charity Oxfam has agreed to temporarily withdraw from bidding for any new United Kingdom government funding according to a statement from Penny Mordaunt MP.

According to a BBC translation, she asked, "From the bottom of my heart, forgive us, forgive Oxfam".

Aid minister Penny Mordaunt threatened on Sunday to withdraw government funding from Oxfam unless it gave the full facts about events in Haiti.

'He gave me nappies, milk, and money for my child'.

The International Development Secretary's announcement and criticism of Oxfam's leadership team came as one of the charity's senior figures complained the storm of criticism was "out of proportion".

He suggested that some critics were motivated in part by opposition to taxpayer-funded aid - Oxfam received almost £32 million (36 million euros, $44 million) from the British government previous year.

Other reports by Insurance News

Discuss This Article