'Serial stowaway' arrested for second time this month at O'Hare

Javier Howell
January 31, 2018

After she was arrested yet again earlier this month in Chicago for boarding a plane without a ticket, "serial stowaway" Marilyn Hartman was ordered by a Cook County judge to wear an ankle monitor.

Officials say 66-year-old Marilyn Hartman was arrested just before 1:30 a.m. after police received a disturbance call about a woman who didn't want to leave the airport, police said in a statement to Fox News.

Hartman was spotted early Sunday at O'Hare's Signature Flight Services, a facility at the airport's northeast perimeter that serves private aircraft, NBC Chicago.

She was also arrested two times in 2015 within two months at O'Hare and Chicago's Midway Airport. She was charged with a misdemeanor criminal trespass and is expected to appear in court later Sunday.

Earlier this month, Hartman made it through TSA security and unsuccessfully tried to board a flight to CT.

"Yes - yes, Your Honor", she said, barely above whisper. She managed to flee before police could arrive, but was spotted again a short time later in Terminal 3, where she was taken into custody.

Once on the plane, flight attendants realized she didn't have a ticket and alerted authorities.

After being questioned by an airport employee she ran off and was eventually caught about two miles away.

She was arrested in London and flown back to Chicago. She slept in the airport and later made it onto a flight to Heathrow but was turned around in London after being unable to provide the proper documentation to enter the country.

The TSA is investigating how Hartman was able to get through security. After an August 2014 arrest in Phoenix, Hartman told reporters in a teary and rambling explanation of her behavior that she suffered from a mental illness and had been medically diagnosed with major depression.

The daredevil senior is due in court again Wednesday.

At the time she was sentenced to jail, Hartman had been living at a mental health facility on the Near North Side before violating the terms of her conviction by leaving the facility and going to O'Hare.

On Jan. 14, Hartman boarded a plane at O'Hare after getting through security without a boarding pass or passport.

Other reports by Insurance News

Discuss This Article