Rafael Nadal Withdraws From Paris Masters

Erica Murray
November 7, 2017

Rafael Nadal locked up No. 1 on Wednesday in Paris, but today had to withdraw from the event ahead of his quarterfinal match against Filip Krajinovic. I feel at home here so for me it'a very tough day.

"For me it's not about London".

The 31-year-old Nadal became the oldest player to top the rankings in its 44-year history.

"Being No. 1 for a part of the year is great, that's obvious, but ending the year No. 1 is better still", Nadal said at a press conference at the Paris Masters.

"But his losses since then have only been [Juan Martin] Del Potro, Nadal twice and a tough one in Paris to [John] Isner where he held match points". It is important to play tennis as long as possible.

Nadal, who started 2017 at world number nine, won his 10th French Open title, his third US Open title and also reached the final of Australian Open, in which he lost a five-set final to Federer.

"I'm going to go back, check again with the doctors (like) I did after Shanghai", Nadal said. "I think I know that he is sceptical on his chances to play in London", Forget said, as quoted by "Reuters". "It's not the thing that I love to do".

A far cry from his condition previous year, sitting on the sidelines for most of the second half of 2016, nursing a wrist injury and falling to ranking #9, the Mallorican native focused on the opening of his new tennis academy, inviting his also-injured friend and rival, Roger Federer, to appear in the opening ceremony.

The ATP Finals get underway next Sunday and after a memorable season that has seen him claim two more Grand Slam titles in a season haul of six tournament victories, Nadal was well set to contend in London.

Other reports by Insurance News

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER