Malaysia: Fire kills 25 at religious school in Kuala Lumpur

Michele Moreno
September 16, 2017

The blaze broke out before dawn on Thursday in the two-storey building of the Darul Quran Ittifaqiyah school, located in the centre of the capital, Kuala Lumpur. Seven people were taken to a nearby hospital for injuries, while 11 others were rescued, the notice said.

In the hours after the fire, family members rushed to the scene, only for some to be told that their child had died in the blaze. They noted that the original architectural design for the dorm included two staircases for exit, but a wall made it impossible for students to access the second exit. REUTERS/Lai Seng Sin Firefighters carry a body out of religious school Darul Quran Ittifaqiyah after a fire broke out in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia September 14, 2017.

Ms Nurhayati, who lives opposite the school, said she heard the pupils' cries around 5am and immediately had her son-in-law call the fire rescue department.

Horrific accounts emerged of students screaming in desperation because they were unable to escape the inferno as the dormitory's only door was on fire and metal security grilles barred the windows.

Loga Bala Mohan, the government's federal territories deputy minister, said: "We sympathise with the families".

Mourning Nik Azlan Nik Abdul Kadir left father of one of the victims comforts his wife outside the Darul Quran Ittifaqiyah religious school
Mourning Nik Azlan Nik Abdul Kadir left father of one of the victims comforts his wife outside the Darul Quran Ittifaqiyah religious school

The fire broke out at around 5.40am in a top-floor dormitory in the three-storey building, firemen said, where most of the students were sleeping in bunk beds, with numerous windows covered by metal grills. One survivor said there was just one window the boys managed to open. "All the bodies were found lumped on one another".

Police said smoke inhalation killed the majority of the victims at the Islamic boys' school in Kuala Lumpur: 21 students and two teachers, Reuters reports. This incident is being termed as one of the country's worst fire disasters for years. He said police are still confirming the final numbers and cause of the fire.

An electrical short circuit is believed to have caused the blaze at the Islamic school, which didn't have a fire permit and was not licensed by local or religious authorities.

Such schools are not regulated by the education ministry of the country.

Other reports by Insurance News

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER