Main Suspect in Finland Stabbing to Appear in Court Tuesday

Michele Moreno
August 22, 2017

The stabbings mounted by an 18-year-old Moroccan on Friday afternoon at two squares in Turku left two Finnish women dead and eight others wounded.

The Finnish police and the Finnish Security Intelligence Service (Supo) received a tip in early 2017 from a member of public that the key suspect in the stabbing attack in the southwestern city of Turku was radicalized, local media reported Monday.

An 18-year-old Moroccan asylum seeker was arrested after police shot him in the leg.

Within hours of the attack in the shopping district of the mid-sized city on Friday, authorities had announced increased police patrols across the country, with police later saying they had arrested five people who had been in contact with the suspect.

Two Finnish women were stabbed to death.

The crimes are being treated as murder and attempted murder with terrorist intent.

Both of the women who lost their lives in the attack were Finns, added Granroth. Three were in intensive care, including the main suspect.

Police believe the attacker deliberately targeted women - six of the injured were also female.

Mechkah, an asylum seeker from Morocco who was living in a refugee center, is now in hospital recovering after being shot by police.

"One man was injured trying to help a victim and one man tried to stop the attacker", Granroth said. "Someone gave me a baseball bat and I ran after the man along with some other people".

Among the injured were an Italian, a Swede and a Briton.

Geert Wilders was accused of hate speech for questioning whether the Netherlands was really better off with more Moroccan Muslims.

Prime Minister Juha Sipila told a news conference that Finland had experienced a terrorist attack for the first time.

Other reports by Insurance News

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER